Type: Overstrung/Underdamper Upright Piano
Brand: Challen, London, UK
Finish: Satin Mahogany
Date of Manufacture: 1939
Challen, established in London in 1804, would go on to be one of the UK's most prolific manufacturers of upright and grand pianos. This model from 1939 has a re-finished mahogany cabinet. It has the typical Challen features of the embossed motif running the width of the top door and the curved side with complimentary curved leg. Internally, the action has been restored, including new repetition springs and jack spiral springs.
Dimensions: Width: 142cm, Depth: 62cm, Height: 117cm
Finance is not available on this piano, thank you.
Challen are known for their superior sound quality and craftsmanship. They are world renowned manufacturers of high quality and reliable lifetime instruments that are built by top technicians. This stunning instrument is completely restored, inside and out. After several months in the workshop, every aspect of this instrument is refinished to the highest standards. The casework now looks the same as when it was originally manufactured, having been stripped back, repaired and finished with many coats of the finest grade polish.
The brass trimmings included every screw, inside and out, are refinished and/or replaced in areas. The back of the piano is resprayed and fully lined. The meticulously prepared internal mechanism known as the ‘action’ is thoroughly regulated and overhauled, with hundreds of new parts including new tapes, springs, felts, bushings, screws etc.
The hammers are resurfaced, realigned, and now perform at their optimum best. The keyboard and pedal maintenance results in a responsive touch and comfortable playing experience. The pedal section was removed and reconditioned: while pedals were out, the inner base of the piano resprayed. Pedals are regulated and new pads installed around them to reduce movement noise. Strings, pins, and soundboard are cleaned.
Each ivory key was put through a cleaning and whitening process using ultra violet light. Piano is tuned, toned and ready to play. Fully restored to last a lifetime and become a true family heirloom.
Five Year Warranty
- Fully restored, internally reconditioned and partially rebuilt
- Case stripped, sanded and sprayed in several coats of high grade polish
- Internal mechanism stripped, cleaned, reassembled, aligned and centred
- Hammer heads resurfaced/reshaped and toned for better sound quality
- Strings, agraffes, pins, bridges, hitch pins, frame and soundboard cleaned
- Pedal section removed, base of piano sprayed and pedals section painted
- All brass works removed and finished to a mirror shine on a spinning wheel
- Key tops whitened using bleach and ultra-violet light, keys levelled and dip adjusted
- Capstans and balance rail pins cleaned, name-board felt replaced, bushings replaced
- All screws removed, including large cast iron frame screws and finished on a wheel
- Back of piano sprayed and lining replaced, castor wheels replaced where needed
- Full tape and jack spring replacement, 170 new internal action parts
- Piano tuned twice and regulated for optimal performance
- Ideal for all levels of player, from beginner to advanced
Annual tuning starts at €120 depending on location