5ft Pleyel Baby Grand Piano
A beautiful. world renowned, rebuilt to brand new standard Pleyel Baby Grand piano. Pleyel was founded by Ignace Pleyel in 1807 and the firm provided Frederic Chopin with pianos throughout his life. They also ran a concert hall called ‘the Salle Pleyel’ where Chopin performed his first, and his last Paris Concerts. Pleyel pianos were played by famous composers such as Stravinsky, Ravel, Debussy, Saint-Saëns, and many other greats.
This instrument has resided in the Lipot Baumhorn-designed synagogue in Lučenec, Slovakia and has been used for many performances by top pianists over the years. Active work on the buildings restoration is financed by a €2.3 million EU grant. Completed in 1926, the immense domed structure is the only surviving synagogue out of five that once stood in the town, which is in southern Slovakia near the border with Hungary. The restored building also includes a Holocaust memorial.
The tone is soft and pure and this size Pleyel was typically used for small concert performances, not large concert halls. The keys are nicely weighted and the original keytops are like new, cleaned and buffed to a high standard, with good grip and control while playing. The piano is currently stable at 443hz, excellent pitch due to pin and pin-block replacement. The turned legs are tall, thin and hand sculptured at the top. The pedals are restored to new and Lyre is shapely and sturdy. Responsive light to medium touch, easy to play without your hands getting tired. A true family heirloom and more sought after than a Steinway. A rare and beautiful instrument that is restored and rebuilt back to its former glory.
Serial Number: 127683 (1903)